The Oscar Grant Committee is pleased to present this list of independent investigators that are available to contract with municipal entities to perform investigations into use of force incidents ending in death or grave bodily injury.
Our intent in providing this list is to be of service to two different parties. Firstly, the families and loved ones of persons injured or killed in use of force incidents in Northern California who seek the truth about what happened from an objective and qualified investigator without ties to the department and office involved in the incident.
Secondly, we seek to serve municipalities to enable them to perform these much-needed independent investigations in a viable manner, especially if there is currently no law enforcement civilian oversight body in place in the municipality.
A few additional pieces of information:
- Neither our advocacy group nor any family/friends involved in a use of force incident has had any direct contact with any of the individuals on this list. In the preparation of this list, OGC asked only for the presentation of professional qualifications and availability for municipal contracts in this region.
- The investigators are presented in alphabetical order. We expect municipalities to interview, check references and engage in appropriate due diligence as with any other municipal contract. We hope that friend and family groups would also have a role in selecting the right individual because the independent investigator process should involve comfort on the part of all parties, both the municipality and loved ones impacted by a serious use of force incident.
- All of the individuals on the list are a part of the National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement (NACOLE) community.
The National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement elevates and advances high professional and ethical standards for and promotes the independence and authority of all entities charged with civilian oversight.
- Assists, supports, and educates jurisdictions considering or developing civilian oversight of law enforcement;
- Trains, educates, and sets high professional and ethical standards for organizations and practitioners charged with civilian oversight of law enforcement;
- Provides educational and informational resources relating to the field of civilian oversight of law enforcement;
- Supports efforts and strategies that afford civilian oversight organizations independence, adequate authority, and sufficient funding and staffing.
While we understand that a list prepared by an advocacy group is likely to meet with some suspicion, we want to be clear that this effort is intended to assist and support individuals impacted by use of force incidents in a search for truth. As activists, we believe the record shows that law enforcement agencies are not best situated to investigate themselves and internal affairs processes often need and benefit from parallel independent efforts. We do not believe this should be threatening to law enforcement or municipalities, but should be welcomed as a check and balance and transparency measure.
Licensed Private Investigator CA #00011670, ILEAA Audit Certification, POST (Homicide Investigations, Criminal Investigations, Internal Affairs, Officer-Involved Shootings), NACOLE Certification.
- 1983-1997 Office of Citizen Complaints, SF Police Commission – Investigator, Senior Investigator, Special Assistant
- 1998-2004 Berkeley Police Review Commission – Investigator, Officer
- 2005-2008 San Jose Independent Police Auditor
- 2008-Present Police Practices and Accountability Consultant
Board Member/Treasurer – National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement (NACOLE)
- 2013-2014 Independent Police Review Authority – Chicago, IL – Supervising Investigator
- 2014-2018 Community Police Review Agency (CPRA) – Oakland, CA – Executive Director
- 2018-2019 Office of Inspector General Public Safety – Seattle WA – Investigations Advisor
JD – Stanford University
- 1984-2001 Department of Justice Civil Rights Prosecutor
- 2003-2010 City of Oakland and CDCR federal monitoring under Judge Thelton Henderson
– Expert, Consultant
Investigated OIS 2006 Inglewood PD, 2009 Pasadena PD, 2008 Torrance PD, 2009 Burbank PD, 2011 Santa Monica PD, 2010 Fullerton Police Department, 2013 Hermosa Beach PD, 2014 Westminister PD, 2014 Santa Maria PD, 2015 Alhambra PD, 2016, 2017 Oxnard PD, 2017 Ventura PD, 2018 Lompoc PD, 2018 Merced PD, 2019 Stockton P
JD Boston College School of Law
- 2004-present – City of Miami Civilian Investigative Panel – Independent Counsel
Supervisory Special Agent – Federal Bureau of Investigation 1986-2008
- 2012-2017 Office of Independent Review, Fresno, CA -Director
- 2008-2019 Salt Lake City Civilian Review Board -Administrator
JD University of Texas School of Law
- 1988-1991 US DOJ - Trial Attorney
- 2005-2016 City of San Francisco – Deputy City Attorney
- 2016-2019 Independent Office for Law Enforcement Review Sonoma County – Director